Why it is more blessed to give than to receive
“And I have been a constant example of how you can help those in need by working hard. You should remember the words of the Lord Jesus: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ” (Acts 20:35 NLT).
Why do you think the act of giving leads to happiness? Why did Jesus say it is more blessed to give than receive (Acts 20:35)? I’d like to suggest 6 reasons.
1. Giving actually reduces anxiety and stress and makes us feel happy. When we serve others we have less self-doubt and depression tends to leave. We grow in confidence as we focus less on ourselves. We can follow the way Jesus taught us to act towards others and be used by God to address the needs of others, whether it is with our money, time, or encouragement.
2. When we give, we reflect His sacrificial generosity. Giving is how God demonstrates his love for us. Jesus was a giver, in word, deed and truth and grace. He went so far that He gave His body for us to be saved (John 3:16). God is described as the Giver of every good and perfect gift (James 1:17).
3. Sacrificial giving is at the heart of the Gospel so our cheerful giving to others is mirroring the heart of God (2 Cor. 2:7). Our giving makes us happy because it makes God happy. Even secular researchers have proven that giving benefits us by reducing our anxiety and stress.
4. Our giving kills our self-centredness by taking the focus away from us and on to others. The more we give, the more sin leaves our hearts and God blesses others through our giving to those in need.
5. The more you give the more you perceive others more positively and more charitably so it creates more cohesion and cooperation in your community. People tend to pass on the generosity that they have received.
6. Giving removes our enslavement to the love of money and we learn to view our belongings differently and look for opportunities to give time, money and commitment. We own them instead of them owning us.
So do you see now that giving to others is actually the secret to happiness? If you can find something that you love to do, take a risk and do it with passion and then do it for someone beyond yourself, you have the formula for lasting fulfilment and happiness.
#kristinatrott #christian#christianblogger #fathersheart #bigheart #joy #trottpublishing #giving #blessing #loveofmoney #depression